Fresh homemade pasta

homemade pasta by christine ha

I’ve been on a fresh homemade pasta kick lately. That’s because I just bought a Mercato Atlas Wellness 150 pasta maker (yes, it’s made in Italy). I’ve been wanting to try my own hand at pasta-making at home, and Luca from this season’s ”MasterChef” recommended me this particular brand, saying he’d gotten it as a wedding gift and loved it.

Atlas Pasta Machine
And now, I do too. The hubster’s eyes brighten every time I bring the pasta maker out of the closet because, well, being a guy, he likes anything mechanical. So it’s nice to have such an eager helper in the kitchen while making pasta. So far, I’ve made two types of pasta: a mushroom duxelle stuffed ravioli topped with a white wine tomato and basil sauce; and angel hair with shrimp, garlic, tomato, and white wine sauce. (We’ve had an influx of tomatoes in our garden this summer, so I’ve been constantly putting them in my pasta dishes.)

Fresh pasta is not that hard so long as you have the press and a little bit of extra time. It also tastes much better than the dried, packaged pasta. The first time I made pasta, I did it the old-fashioned way where you dump a mound of flour onto the counter and make a well in the middle in which you add the eggs. Then, using a fork, you stir in the flour a little bit at a time symptoms of propecia until it becomes one big, elastic ball of dough. I then kneaded it by hand. The second time I made pasta, I dumped everything in the stand mixer and let the dough hook do its magic. I know ancient Italian grandmas would scoff at my stand mixer, but hey, it’s the 21st century, and I’ll put my equipment to use, dammit! The hubster didn’t dish out a pretty penny for my KitchenAid to just stand there looking pretty (although looking pretty, it does). So next time you’re in the mood for pasta, try making it from scratch. You’ll put Chef Boyardee to shame. If the Blind can Cook it, you can too.

Recipe: Fresh Pasta

1. 4 lg. eggs, lightly beaten
  2. 3 c. Unbleached AP flour + more for dusting
  3. 1 tsp. Salt
  4. 2 to 3 tbsp. Water

1. Combine flour, eggs, salt, and 2 tbsp. Water in a food pro or stand mixer with a dough hook. Pulse or mix until an elastic dough forms, adding 1 tbsp. Water a drop at a time if necessary.
  2. Turn dough ball out onto lightly floured surface (Preferably wooden). Knead until firm and elastic, approx. 8 to 10 min. Let rest under inverted bowl for 1 hr.
  3. Divide dough into 3 pcs. Roll out with lightly dusted pasta machine. Submerge in boiling water for 30 to 60 sec.

Preparation time: 15 minute(s)

Cooking time: 1 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 8

Article Tags : , , , ,

1. @lisaindfw says:

I got the Kitchenaide pasta attachments for my mixer for Christmas. Their basic recipe calls for 3 eggs but otherwise is almost identical to the one you posted. I ALWAYS had to add more water so the last couple of times have added the 4th egg and it makes all the difference.

How do you like the attachment? I was originally going to get that but couldn't justify the price tag.

• Deaf Cook says:

I have the same attachments, both the roller and the extruder. The extruder works really fast, and I've ended up draped in noodles. Calls for some practice. I don't use as much as the price tag would warrant but the tip about the 4th egg is worth a shot. I feel some pasta coming on…
        Curious about the recipe calling for AP flour and not semolina, which I'd read somewhere. What impact does the flour choice have, in your experience?

2. J. Dent says:

Everything tastes better fresh, and I don't think it would take much to put Chef Boyardee to shame either. Your two pasta dishes sound delicious, especially your shrimp and angel hair dish. But then again, knowing you made them I don't doubt that they are. My mouth is watering as I type.

My grandma makes homemade noodles in the fall for her chicken noodle soup the old-fashioned way. I even helped one year. I kid you not, I had my dough rolled out in the shape of South America by accident. Just a bit of nostalgia at reading your post about pasta.

3. […] The top three sausage dishes belong to Natasha, Eddie, and Krissi (who, incidentally, makes an Italian sausage). But the ultimate winner of the sausage challenge is Eddie for his pork links with braised purple cabbage and apple chutney. Eddie is shown to the pantry where he chooses which contestants will work with fresh ingredients and which will have to cook with the canned alternatives. From the selections of ham, mushroom, and shrimp, Eddie chooses mushrooms. I personally don’t abhor canned mushrooms (though I’ve never cooked with them at home)- I think so long as you surround them with bold, complementary flavors, the dish could stand on its own. The challenge, of course, is making the canned mushroom the highlight of the dish. So how would you go about featuring the canned mushroom yet masking its less desirable flavors and textures? I applaud Natasha’s strategy in cooking them with pancetta and stuffing them in ravioli with tarragon and aged gruyere. And if I were to get fresh mushrooms, I’d likely sauté a variety of them in butter, and then add herbs and just a little bit of cream before tossing them with fresh pasta (which I’ve recently been churning out at home-see my blog for a simple fresh pasta recipe). […]

4. sulero88 says:

Christine- I love making homemade pasta too! I found a never used mint condition pristine atlas pasta maker at a consignment shop- it was still in the box with the instructions! I got it for a mere $22- what a steal! I wrote about it in my blog:

I am such a huge fan of you and what you emanate. I hope you can check out my blog!

5. Jessica says:

It seems so easy, but everyone I know who has tried it says it's a real hassle – I wonder why?

6. Carol says:

Christine, you are insiprational! I know from the show that you didn't just wanna go there for inspiration but also be taken serious.

and seriously, my heart beated for your games and my tears dropped for your set back during the show. nothing is better than seeing you won the title of master chef and what's more important, a new chapter of life just started from there.

I am a new mom and learning my way to cook healthy for my 13 months boy, you make me wanna try harder everday!

Not sure if i can be in huston to try your pop-up, as i am your fan from Hong Kong. But it would be lovely seeing you more in here and there!

7. toaster oven says:

Green vegetables are great to increase fertility and growth of body organs. Along with this normal food we must use dairy products.

8. Opłatomaty says:

Yamii – interesting blog

9. Once, my mother did the same pasta. I'll say this much work, but the taste of the unique …

10. Thanks for this recipe. Great

11. CHris says:

Will try this recipe for tomorrow's dinner! Thank you !! 😀

12. Dylan Ewers says:

Pasta is my favorite one and i always try it in a new way. Thanks for such sharing. Will you guide me for Asian type of pasta with so much of chilli?