Recipe: Quick & easy broccoli rice casserole
Recounting the first Thanksgiving I ever hosted back in 2001 (the year I graduated college and finally had a kitchen and place I could call my very own), in addition to the deep-fried turkey, I made this broccoli rice casserole. I probably found the recipe online but I honestly don’t remember where–it could’ve possibly been before I discovered All Recipes.
Regardless, it was very simple to make, and my dad raved about it, asking to take home a chunky portion as part of his Thanksgiving leftovers. My friend, Mark, also asked for the recipe, followed by Danny years later. Nearly going on its tenth year in the making, this dish is a must-have at all my holiday comfort food gatherings. I’ve also brought it to several potlucks; up or down the ingredients according to number of people. Remember, if the Blind can Cook it, so can you.
Note: I’ll upload a photo of the dish come Thanksgiving when we actually make it. For now. here’s a photo of the Pancake Bunny.
Recipe: Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 20 oz. frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 16 oz. processed cheese, melted
- 3/4 c. minced onion
- 2 c. uncooked minute rice
- 2 tbsp. butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook minute rice as directed.
- In a med. pan, saute onion in butter over med.-high heat until yellowed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a lg. bowl, mix broccoli, onion, cheese, cream of mushroom, rice, and salt & pepper to taste until well-blended. Pour mixture into a 10″x13″ casserole dish. Bake for 60 min. or until edges are browned.
I personally like the edges and even the top pretty brown. It adds flavor and texture.
For the cheese, I like to use Cheez-Whiz.
Cooking time (duration): 75
Diet type: Vegetarian
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Microformatting by hRecipe.