I usually post on Tuesdays, but I didn’t get this week’s entry up in time yesterday. And no, it wasn’t because it was Tax Day. (A tangential tax story: the hubs and I sat down to do our taxes last weekend, and with my Canadian cooking show, ”Four Senses,” it got to being way over our heads, so we had to call up our CPA again and implore her to file an extension and do our taxes. I can manage my way around sharp knives, but I’m completely lost when it comes to tax code this and deduction that.)

But enough about the less jovial stuff, and on to better, more delicious things…like eggs.

Who doesn’t love eggs? Well, not counting you allergic or vegan folks. Every Easter, I shudder at the thought of all these hard-boiled eggs going to waste after the children dye their eggs and have their hunts. And since I’ve had a recent insatiable hankering for egg salad, I thought I’d share this simple but yummy recipe. I make a large batch, and the hubs and I whittle away at it throughout the week. He eats it with a side salad of mesclun, tomato, cucumber, avocado, grated cheese (whichever kind we have on hand), and a vinaigrette. I eat it in between toasted multigrain bread with tomato and avocado slices and alfalfa sprouts (which, I’m happy to report, I’ve been successfully sprouting at home after our local grocery store stopped carrying them—more on alfalfa later).

Ever since we got the PolyScience immersion circulator, we have been obsessed with vacuum-sealing everything (just short of my Chucks) and tossing it into the regulated water bath. Our PolyScience does not discriminate against eggs. The hubs took the Instagram video above and said it was “like watching an egg ballet.” I was beaming with pride—I think that was the most eloquent metaphor I’ve ever heard from him.

With eggs, there’s no need to vacuum-seal since you aren’t trying to trap in any marinades or seasonings. The egg’s natural shell usually protects the egg just fine. For barely-boiled eggs great for noodle soups like ramen, cook the eggs at 62.8°C for 40 minutes. For hard-boiled eggs like the ones you’ll need for this egg salad, cook them at 73.9°C for 40 minutes. (For a really informative read on this topic, read this Serious Eats post on sous vide eggs.). Otherwise, if you’re boiling the eggs the primitive way in a pot full of water, follow these steps.

How to make perfect hard-boiled eggs:

1. Place the eggs in a saucepan and fill with enough water to generously cover all the eggs; bring to a boil.
  2. As soon as water begins boiling at a pretty solid boil, remove from heat, cover, and start the egg timer (do you still really have one of these?) or iPhone for 12 minutes.
  3. When the timer dings, drain the water from the saucepan, and run cold water over the eggs. Throw in some ice cubes to cool quickly.

What’s your favorite way to enjoy eggs? Do you have any tips for a stellar egg salad? What will you be eating this Easter? Observed Passover? What did you eat for that?

Now without further ado, on to the egg ballet.

Recipe: Egg Salad

Notes: Eat in a sandwich, as part of a salad, or by itself.

Ingredients

1. 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
  2. 1/3 c mayo
  3. 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  4. 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
  5. 1/2 lemon, juiced
  6. 1/4 c chopped scallion
  7. 1/4 tsp paprika
  8. salt & pepper to taste
  9. tomato slices and alfalfa sprouts for garnish

Instructions

1. In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, both Dijon and yellow mustards, and lemon juice. In a medium bowl, combine egg, mayo-mustard mixture, scallion, paprika, salt & pepper; being careful to fold everything together to keep eggs from mashing (unless that’s the texture you’re going for).
  2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min for flavors to combine.

Preparation time: 10 minute(s)

Cooking time: N/A

Number of servings (yield): 4

Article Tags : , , ,

1. Carter says:

I seriously don't see why I would want to have to waste 40 mins of time and whatever amount of energy (gas, electricity or else) to boil some eggs, if all I want is "simple hard boiled eggs". There may be some use for PolyScience immersion circulators, but I don't see it yet. I wastes enery and time.

The immersion circulator is a “set and forget” type of ordeal. So yes, while it takes longer to cook “hard-boiled” eggs, you minimize the risk of overcooking and getting chalky, green-rimmed yolks. Personally, I would use the PolyScience to barely-boil the egg when using them in a noodle soup or raw fish preparation, but I'd probably stick to the the old-fashioned way of hard-boiling.

2. Cecelia says:

To boil eggs, I put them in a pan of cold water, add salt, then bring them to a rapid boil. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Cool quickly. I run cold water in the pan, pour it out, the put the eggs on a towel to dry. Then stick them in the refrigerator to finish cooling, and until ready to use. I finish my other ingredients or mixture and then dice the eggs.
    My daughter just puts the eggs in a pan and brings them to a boil. Turns them off shortly and goes to take a nap, leaving the goes in the hot water! They turn out alright. But, if I find them, I drain and cool them.
    We don't have little children around anymore to do Easter Eggs. But my daughter makes Deviled Eggs for her son.
    For sandwiches, salad, etc., I use Miracle Whip, sugar, lemon juice, diced boiled eggs,, a little black pepper. To this, I add various things from tuna fish to chicken, or even chicken or roast beef spread. Sometimes I add a little diced green pepper, or diced celery, finely diced chives, etc.
    This could be served on sandwiches or as a salad on lettuce leaf, or even as a dip.
    I hate when boiled eggs have been cooked incorrectly and, when you try to peel them, the whites come all to pieces. I'm not sure if it is the cooking or if the eggs wee not fresh. Since I have been using my method of boiling eggs, I haven't had that problem. Or, maybe, we're getting better eggs!

Actually, the fresher the egg, the more likely the whites will stick to the shell when peeling. Older eggs are easier to peel intact.

3. Andrea L. Barrios Schotte says:

Hello! My name is Andrea and i'm from Mexico, i'm 23 years old, already finished business managent in university and i'm in a technic carrer in gastronomy ,i really admire you and your work ,and thanks to you i learned , well i' ve remembered about the importance of taste in our foods, sometimes we think is ok, but i have to remember not to give someone anything I wouldn't eat, presentation is important too of course.

i also admire that you are strong, calm, and that you are a humble person. I will continue following your work, and thank you for your tips and news! Continue like that! I will follow my dream like you did 😀
    Best wishes.

4. jennay55 says:

Interesting. This is one of the only dishes I can make well.