Banana berry smoothie

Blended bananas and berries for breakfast

I’ve been writing a lot recently about athleticism, getting fit, and staying in shape. Don’t worry. This week won’t be another post on what you should and shouldn’t be doing with your life. Sort of.

This week’s post is a recipe for a delicious smoothie I created when I came across some strawberries in my fruit crisper, left over from when a friend made chocolate covered strawberries for my little Oscars viewing party.

I also tend to buy bananas but never eat them all before they ripen and turn entirely brown, so I often peel and freeze them in a freezer bag, collecting them over time to drop into juices, shakes, and smoothies, such as this one below. I also had a bag of frozen blueberries, a nearly finished carton of almond milk, and honey harvested by my hipster in-laws from their organic honeybee farm.

Throw everything together into my amazing Vitamix, and I’ve got myself my tastiest smoothie yet. I drink a cup for breakfast, and it tides me over till lunchtime, no problem.

I’ve been making my breakfast drinks in the Vitamix, and the hubster’s been using it to make savory purées. Whatever it is, we are delighted each time with how quickly and smoothly the Vitamix blends ingredients.

Previously, when we wondered if owning a Vitamix would be life-changing, I’ve decided it kind of is. Growing up, my mama never forced me to eat my veggies, so over time, I developed, er, digestive issues. Let’s just say my pipes get stopped up quite frequently. But now that I’ve worked these easy-to-make breakfast drinks into my routine, blending fruit peels and all straight into my smoothie, my digestion is happier and, dare I say, more regular. Sorry if that’s TMI, but I’m just saying’. I’ve read about a study before that shows regular people are happier, but I can’t seem to find that article online anymore–can anyone help? But the point is, who can’t use a little more happiness? I sure can.

Do you have a Vitamix? Thinking about getting one? Thoughts on blenders? Leave a comment.

Recipe: Banana Berry Smoothie

Summary: You will need a bad-ass blender, such as the Vitamix.

Ingredients

1. 1 banana
  2. 12 to 15 strawberries, hulled
  3. 1 c blueberries
  4. 2 tbsp honey
  5. 1/2 c almond milk
  6. 1/2 c water

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to the Vitamix and blend on full-blast, adding more almond milk or water as needed to liquefy.

Preparation time: 5 minute(s)

Cooking time: N/A

Number of servings (yield): 2 pints2

Article Tags : , , ,

1. Chi Pham says:

Thanks for an easy and healthy smoothy recipe though I have a bit of problem in finding the ingredients u mentioned in Vietnam such as almond milk and/or blueberries. Does it still tastes good if I replace those by soya milk and/or other kinds of fruits. Could you give me further suggestions on the alternative ingredients or other easy-doing and healthy smoothies????

Have a nice day, Christine!!! So proud of u and lots of respect. Keep up those positive energies. U are one of my inspirations to try hard at work everyday ^^

Yes! The beauty of these smoothies is you just throw anything you have in the fridge into the Vitamix. Almond milk can definitely be substituted with regular milk, soy milk, or yogurt. Any fruits will do. Just blend them all together and taste to see what it needs. More sweetness? Add honey. Mort tartness? Add lemon or lime juice, or a sour fruit. And so on…

2. Alex Dunlevie says:

3. very very nice, like blood red. I want to do right away by looking recipes

4. Paul Best says:

My wife is pregnant and craving smoothies at the moment so this will be a great treat for her. I also have crohns disease and keeping myself regular is also important. Also TMI 🙂 Thanks for sharing this

5. I love smoothie recipes.

6. Vitamix says:

How fun and luckily I follow almost every single blogger included in this! Love it. Your entire blog is really considerable. I must be follow your further recipes and usage of Vitamix.

7. Larica. says:

Thanks for this recipe. Your each and every recipe are mostly very delicious and testy. I want to make this vitamix-banana-smoothie recipe for my family. I love to make new new recipe for my new family. Thanks for your information.

8. […] I nap in bed at 2 PM, watch “Seinfeld,” sip strawberry banana smoothies from Smoothie King (or my own smoothie, and drift in and out of a Nyquil haze. (Yes, this is my modus operandi when I’m sick with the […]

9. Jamieclit says:

Nice recipe, as a smoothie lover I tried it this morning an loved it. I would like to add here – sure these drinks are good for health and taste good but taking it in right proportion matters a lot. I will recommend you friends to have a look over right size smoothies reviews to learn about them.

10. smoothie recepten says:

Cool recipe! I'm thinking about buying a Vitamix myself, looks great.

11. John Smith says:

Vitamix for smoothies is absolutely unbeatable! The ease of it, the quality of the result, and the health benefits are all wonderful! I couldnt agree more with your feelings….I wasnt sure owning a Vitamix at home would change my life…but it has. Hope to see more of your beautiful food soon! http://www.lgnetworksinc.com

12. carla says:

Thanks for an easy and healthy smoothie recipe

13. wow that looks delicious. I bought a smoothey maker a few year and it was expensive to well over $150. This post makes me want to take it out and get it working again. I will try this recipe tomorrow for breakfast