Here it is, as promised: the “pilot” of my grassroots “Blind Life” YouTube series. A while back, I mentioned on my Facebook fan page that, per the request of fans, I would be starting a YouTube series called “Blind Life” to showcase what my daily life is like as a visually impaired individual. Since the show, much interest has been brewing about the Christine beyond the MC3Christine: what do I cook at home regularly, how do I get around my house, how do I navigate Facebook/Twitter/my blog? Well, ask no further. Here is the beginning of all the answers to your questions.

I cheated a little with my first episode, only because it’s the hubster and me making up the entire whole of the crew. He directs and edits while I write and act. So while we get the hang of things, we decided to make a large act of this episode the video montage by Dave Franklin who was asked by MKT BAR and Phoenicia Specialty Foods to commemorate the whole pop-up experience. It was the first pop-up service for both myself and MKT BAR, and neither of us could have been happier with the results.

So for those of you who live far away from Houston and couldn’t fly here for the event, or who came at 4 PM only to find out we were sold out of all 240+ covers, or those of you who got to enjoy the food but are wondering what went on back of house, here you go. Don’t forget to leave a comment letting me know what you think of episode 1 and what you’d like to see in future episodes. Also, if you have a question you’d like me to answer, let me know that, too. Make sure to subscribe so you’ll know when the next video is up. Happy watching!

Article Tags : , , ,

Nicely done! You and J5uh are creating a really strong internet brand here. Let me just say that I ate lunch an hour ago and I am now practically starving, first after looking at the menu and food from your popup, and then seeing that you have homemade Kimchi in your fridge.

I found it really interesting when you spoke of needing to learn the location of physical things in a new setting, like switches in a hotel room. Thanks for discussing that. We all have mental maps of our homes or places we frequent regularly, but I never really considered how I would build a new mental map if I didn't have my sight to help me. I imagine there's a real trust involved with having someone guide you. When I watched the Paralympics in London last year, I was amazed to see blind people running races with sighted guides, each pair tethered together at one wrist. I didn't even know this was possible – a true example of "where there is a will, there is a way!"

So for future episodes, speaking for myself, I'd love to know more about how you "watch" 30 Rock and other shows. My wife once had a job creating descriptive audio for various TV programs, adding short phrases like "Mr. Jones enters the room" or "Christine picks up a knife" so that visually-challenged viewers could follow action even when there is no dialog. Also, it would definitely be interesting to know what tools you use to navigate the internet, twitter, and so on.

Keep up the good work and thanks for this episode.

THanks for the feedback. And good tips for future episodes.Good question about how I “watch” TV shows and movies. I will add that to the queue of questions. 🙂

Also forgot to mention that I've been trying to research how blind people run, and I'm glad you brought up how you've seen tethered runners. I figured that's how it was done. I've been jogging with the hubster lately, but I can't figure out how to have him guide me without our elbows rubbing or me feeling abandoned. It indeed takes a lot of trust.

• Paul says:

That's awesome that you're jogging with your husband. I sent you a link via twitter to the American Foundation for the Blind webpage called Tips for Runners with Visual Impairments. Some of it is kind of obvious, but there is some specific information about tethers and how they are used.

Also, at the end of this post I have placed a link to a youtube video called "The Basics of Guide Running". The first two parts are about sprints and jumping, but if you skip ahead to 16:30 or so, you'll find a section on trail running that I think would be helpful for you and your husband. It features three-time Paralympian Tim Willis and his longtime guide Mark Lucas. Great tips on communication, dealing with obstacles, and how to begin working with a tether. Keep us posted. If it goes well perhaps your jogging exploits will be in a future episode of Blind Life. Cheers.

2. Jason says:

Good video, Christine. I'm looking forward to more.

I'm interested in the hotel rooms. I honestly wouldn't have thought to show you where the light switches were in that situation, I'd have been more concerned with the thermostat, TV clicker, soap, towels, and so on. But how do you negotiate hotel room TV remotes and telephones and thermostats? Consistent they are not. Even with sight I find myself staring at the remotes with a puzzled look on my face looking for the dang mute button.

If I remember correctly, your particular blindness is such that you can see light and dark, but not make out shapes. Is that correct? If so, does light and dark still have a sleep cycle impact for you, or do you tend to leave the lights turned off when you're traveling alone?

3. Eats Meets West says:

Hello Christine 🙂

It's EMW, and oooh, I have to say that the first Blind Life episode was just awesome! I love how you had a little Q/A session. We, the fan base, feel that you do read most of what we say and that you care about us (though I would not imagine otherwise!). So in turn, we feel connected with you. The questions you answered were also very interesting ones, especially the dream one. I hope this segment becomes a regular on your show. And if you ever have trouble choosing between which questions to answer (so many to choose from!), a poll would be a nice way to have it chosen for you. It would allow us to give some input on what we want to know from you and would generate interest/discussion on your series too 😀

Moving on, the pop-up montage was nice to see as well. Of course, all the food (and you) in the entire episode look gorgeous! As for What's In Christine's Fridge? I love love love it. It's cool to see what you're cooking up and how you (amazingly) keep it organized for yourself and others as well.

A nice future episode would be something like "A Day with Christine at the Market/Grocery Store". It would be neat to see what it's like to shop for good ingredients (aka MasterChef-approved hehe). Like, how you navigate the grocery store, pick out the best ingredients, try out new ingredients, and check off that pesky grocery list 🙂

Aaaaand, I know I write longest comments ever (sigh), but finally I do have two questions of my own to ask you:
    1) How do you try out and learn a new recipe?
    2) With all the social media platforms that you're on, the housework you do, time to cook, press for MC3 and your cookbook, writing, social life, etc etc. – how do you manage your time? lol . I'm just trying to imagine how long it would take to listen to the audio clips of electronic devices and remember where everything is, all in your head.

Ok. I'm done now. For reals 😛

Awaiting your owl,
    Eats Meets West~

All your suggestions are noted. 🙂

• Eats Meets West says:

Thanks Christine 🙂

I'm really looking forward to what this series will bring. I have a feeling that an amazing beginning has just begun.

Hope you're doing well,
        Eats Meets West~

4. myrtleleafy says:

Hi Christine,
    I went back to some of your earlier posts to get a glimpse of life before MasterChef. I noticed in the very first post you were receiving treatments to treat your autoimmune disease. Are you still receiving treatments?
    Also, I think you dress so cute! Who picks out your outfits?

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm going to answer your questions here though I like the second one and may use it for a future #blindlife webisode. Yes, I still receive Rituximab infusions about once a year to keep my NMO in check. My girlfriends usually take me shopping and pick out clothes for me. They all know what my core style is, but depending on whom I'm shopping with, the outfits change a little in style or trend according to their own particular tastes, of course. 🙂

5. TV programs, adding short phrases like "Mr. Jones enters the room" or "Christine picks up a knife" so that visually-challenged viewers could follow action even when there is no dialog. Also, it would definitely be interesting to know what tools you use to navigate the internet, twitter, and so on.

6. @JeffD503 says:

I saw the first episode, and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing the footage of you running your pop-up. Even though I couldn't be there personally, although I wish I could have been, it looked like it was a real blast for everyone there. If I had been there, I probably would have been geeking out the rest of the night having tasted your food. I know I have your recipes, but it's not quite the same. But anyway, I enjoyed watching and I'll be watching for more.

I do have a couple of questions. As for what I'd want to see, I wouldn't have the foggiest.

What do you suppose is the hardest dish and/or style of cooking you've ever done? By style, I mean like a regional kind of cuisine. I know you're a wonder in the kitchen, but I bet even someone like Gordon Ramsay has a dish that scares him.

I'm somewhat philosophical so that's prompting this next question. If post-MC you could pull pre-MC you aside before you walked through those doors, what would you tell yourself?

Anyway, I'll leave this with a message of thanks. You continue to inspire me. Even reading your cookbook is an inspiration to me. I also credit you with getting me back in the kitchen. I've come to remember how much I enjoyed cooking because of you. 🙂

Thanks for the comment. I'll add your questions to the queue for upcoming “Blind Life” episodes. And so glad I've been able to inspire you to get back into the kitchen. 🙂

7. Luis Perez says:

Hi Christine,

I really enjoyed this first episode of Blind Life and I look forward to future ones. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I would love to see some videos showing how you use assistive technology in your daily life. I think I remember reading somewhere that you use Apple products. I am visually impaired myself and I advocate for accessibility and accessible content for education.

I think what you are doing is really important in sharing your life and showing others (especially the next generation of blind or visually impaired) that it is possible to live a full and productive life no matter what challenges you have if you have the right supports (both technology and good people in your life).

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life with us and I look forward to future episodes.

8. Bonnie says:

Thanks so much for the inspiration with this!!! So glad – episode gave me hope! Keep up the great work!