Ever on top of the tech news, the hubster sent me a link to this article about the 3D printer from Yahoo! Japan that helps the blind navigate the web. I’ve only recently learned of the 3D printer concept (thanks to the geeky hubs), and because I can’t see to watch a video demo of it online, I’m still unclear on the concept of a 3D printer. For some reason, I keep picturing paper scrolling out of a regular-looking printer but then suddenly popping into 3D shapes much like a pop-up book—you know, the kind that we used to read when we were little with the cardboard pop-ups on each page?

Regardless, it’s news like this that makes me happy to know the world is advancing in ways that help level the playing field for the visually impaired. What do you think of this concept? In what ways can you imagine this helping not just the blind world, but the world in general? The imagination is endless. I love it.

Article Tags :

Christine, The Economist magazine had a discussion on 3D Printing last month in their Technology Quarterly. Accompanying that larger discussion was a shorter article called "How 3D Printers Work" which may help you better understand 3D printing, since it relies only on text to communicate the concepts. I think the article should be accessible even if you're not a subscriber, since the Economist website allows limited access to visitors. Here is the URL:

2. Eats Meets West says:

Hello Christine!

It's Eats Meets West (EMW from Eats Meets West.net)! I haven't been to your blog in ages, and I sure am glad that I remembered to check back! I hope you're doing okay 🙂 . Going back to the topic, to simplify it, a 3D printer builds and constructs a plastic 3D model of whatever you want it to print . Think of as a mini-figurine creator. I heard about a 3D printer about 2 years ago, and I've been amazed at what it can accomplish. But I can see it being especially useful to blind cooks, because it can help "feel" what a unknown dish looks like.

For example, remember that episode on MasterChef, in the Mystery Box Challenge, where you had to make a dish that Graham Elliot served for famous people? You all got Obama's order (white tuna sashimi). Gordon Ramsey let you feel the plating of the dish so you could see how it could be presented. Now imagine if didn't have the completed dish there? It would have been a bit difficult to imagine and perceive how a completed dish of white tuna sashimi looked like. Enter 3D Printer.

It would definitely help cooks everywhere by explaining techniques (i.e how to roll a cinnamon roll) or plating in not just a visual way, but in a way that you can feel. Of course, it would be great for any kind of industry, from film (props) to charity organizations (unique toys for kids), to engineers and home modelers (a 3D blueprint!) etc. etc.

So really, the only limit to the 3D printer is our imagination 🙂
    Added bonus: Whatever you 3D-print just looks plain cool.

3. Tai ola says:

3d technology is incredible

4. pengertian says:

Thanks for the tips…..

5. raghu says:

Japanese are really amazing in the education sector..They fight against all odds to provide the best education to their youth!!

6. saravana says:

Great effort by yahoo and its great decade of this millennium.

7. Really, It may be possible, heard about japanese new 3d printer with which even blind children can search web, is it true?? If yes, then it is a one type of miracle for blind children. But, I need to know more about yahoo japan 3d printer.

8. Good Boy says:

Nice and wonderful info for me. thanks.

9. Tafsir Mimpi says:

Japanese are really amazing in the education sector..!

They fight against all odds to provide the best education to their youth……..