Whew. Talk about a long-winded headline. But lately, I’ve had lots of energy. Not only did Pop-up Episode 1 at MKT BAR go off without a hitch (more on that soon—I’ll have a surprise for you in that regard), I’ve been [sort of] relaxing lately with some down time before the culinary adventures begin again.

I’ve been sleeping better than I have in years, trying to eat a little healthier, and working out a little more than usual (which, sadly enough, isn’t much). But I’m feeling good. I have a few weeks to shed the apron for the pen; with a personal essay and short story on my revision desk, not to mention that pesky memoir I haven’t touched since my thesis defense, I’m welcoming a change of pace in my daily routine. But what I’m looking forward to the most is being able to wear pajamas, no make-up, and bed-head every day.

For me, more leisure time means a few things:

1. More reading of books I’ve queued in my Good Reads app
  2. More time to run “30 Rock” in the background while I cook/read/clean
  3. More home projects like cleaning my desk, organizing computer files and kitchen cabinets, ordering some cell shades from the hubster’s company
  4. More daydreams about new recipes and what I’m going to eat and cook the next day or week or month

The last item on the list means my shopping list-making activity has increased multi-fold. (In case you can’t tell by my entry here so far, I love making lists. And then I love crossing things off a list. It’s the anal retention in me. Love it or leave it.)

In our household, I create a majority of the lists, the hubster adds a few of his needs (e.g. Hair gel, shaving cream, lentils, and coffee beans), and we go to the grocery store (or, “gro’ sto’,” as I like to call it) together where he pulls the cart and I hang on the back, his nose buried in our co-created shopping list.

Before we hit 2013 and became thoroughly and technologically efficient, I was making shopping lists with a good ol’-fashioned pen and paper (remember those things, Generation X-ers?): I’d scribble in gigantic font on old printer paper, and the hubster would scratch each item off one-by-one as it went into the cart.

But now it’s the tech age, and the hubster, being a total geek, could no longer stand my neanderthal ways, and so he found this gem of an app called Our Groceries. It allows me to share several lists with the hubster, and I can even add recipes and, with a single click of a button, add a recipe’s list of ingredients immediately to my various shopping lists.

I appreciate how the app is compatible with my iPhone and his non-iPhone. (No, I’m not biased at all.) Most of all, I like how it’s very straightforward and accessible with VoiceOver for the blind. In fact, I love this app so much, I stayed up until 3 AM the other night just creating categories and making lists. I know I’m a list nerd, but that’s what happens when you don’t have a pop-up to plan or an event at which to speak in the near future. You make lots of lists.

Try out the Our Groceries app, and let me know what you think. Already a user? What do you think could be improved?

P.S. Yes, now you have a glimpse of what’s currently on my grocery list by the screen shot posted. 🙂

Article Tags : ,

1. guidepooch says:

Woah, this looks life changing! I am always the list maker between my hubby and I, I've just been using the "Notes" app on the Iphone but it gets annoying when I have to rearrange it by cut and paste to make his shopping more efficient. Will definitely download this and try it out!

2. Rudy Navarro says:

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded it and already created a few lists. I like that I can share it with my wife, it's much better than sending her a long text msg. I don't drive anymore (I'm legally blind) and so she does most of the shopping. I often go with her but this makes it a lot easier. Like you, I use checklists for everything (I'm a HouseDad first, a project manager 2nd). I type them using a font size of 35 so I can see the items. Although I don't use an iPhone (I know, don't say it), I can maximize the screen on my (nameless) phone so I can see the list.

3. Alice Goss says:

What a fabulous idea!! I will download it today. I am partially blind after an abdominal endoscopic surgery gone bad. And I am preparing to audition in Chicago for MasterChef. ( You inspired me!) I make many lists to stay organized and I love how you can share this with the other person in the household. Thanks for the tip!

4. I thought the new taxes were to pay for this !

5. Eats Meets West says:

Hello there Christine 🙂

I'm happy to hear you're doing well! It sounds like winning MC3 and writing that aamazing cookbook + press stuff + graduating was hectic, and I bet it sure feels good to have some down-time. I happen to look forward to weekends so much, that sometimes I actually plan in blocks where I do absolutely nothing, and sometimes I bulldozer through my master to-do list like a maniac. Speaking of lists, I am known as the Queen of Lists around here, seeing as I have an obsessive urge to write everything down and make multiple lists for different things, all the time. So I really get where you're coming from, lol.

Anyways, it's nice to see the OurGroceries App. In my house, I clean and stock the fridge (someone else goes gro' shopping), so I usually create a whiteboard list of what we need and what we have too much of. Then the Grocery Buyer can quickly scan the list before going grocery shopping.

This app would have fixed been nice if everyone in my household:
    a) used their phones to make lists, and
    b) actually had a smartphone, lol.

Sadly, since this isn't the case, I'll have to make do with my whiteboard lists. But as soon as Grocery Buyer gets a phone, you can bet that I'll be getting this app. Thanks for recommending it, Christine! 🙂

6. Quentin says:

Your mode of describing the whole thing in this post is in fact pleasant, all be capable of easily understand it, Thanks a lot.

7. Aaron Braden says:

Nice post, and you give us many productive information about iPhone apps. I bookmark you page and waiting for your next post.

8. No problem. Glad I'm proud to be able to share something useful to others. Good luck to everyone!

9. Jenifer Kamins says:

so good.

10. Your tips for healthy grocery shopping are just great and now I want to know about coupons if you know about any useful coupons for grocery shopping please let me know.

11. androids says:

Thanks for sharing your thought and deep knowledge through this post .This is my first visit to your post. I am very happy Google redirected me to this page. Big thanks to you for sharing such a great post with us.