Doing the Gangnam dance in Gangnam: A montage of my Korea trip

I recently went to Japan and Korea for a much needed vacation away from my laptop and cell phone (though I ended up working throughout the vacation anyway–gotta get that much anticipated cookbook written!). I regret not doing crazier things in Japan worth capturing on video, but I made up for it in Korea. I ate so much food overseas that a friend’s mom rubbed my belly and exclaimed something in Japanese that alluded to my being pregnant. The thing is, I’m not pregnant! She’d just fed me a delicious dinner of shabu shabu, so if anything, I was pregnant with her shabu shabu baby! It didn’t matter that I was drinking beer over dinner…sigh. Time to lose the pot belly. It is no longer cute.

Anyway, here is a video of our time in Seoul, Korea. I try live octopus and do the Gangnam-style dance in the actual Gangnam district. I was quite embarrassed doing it because: (1) it was in public at a subway stop, and (2) I hadn’t had any shots of soju. But I did it for the fans since it got a laugh from so many of you. Enjoy the video, and happy Thanksgiving to all.

Article Tags : ,
How the Blind work out

1. J. Dent says:

I tried to post earlier, but it acted a little weird when I tried to post. I don't know if it took it, but if it didn't, I guess I'll try again. If this makes a repeat, then my apologies.

Cool video. There sure was a lot of interesting food. Way different than what I'd find here in the midwest. How'd the octopus taste? I've never had it, dead or alive. Nice dancing too.

A very happy Thanksgiving to you too. For food lovers, this is the big holiday. Since I'm not on Twitter, I hope you don't mind if I answer the question here. It was about the same as it is every year. Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoe casserole (both made with home grown spuds), all kinds of salads, rolls, and several pies. I ended up eating my way into a tryptophan-induced food coma afterwards, but I do that just about every year. lol And now, comes the after-Thanksgiving. At least there's plenty of omelet meat for me to use up.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and I hope that the turkey turned out great.

2. Ren-Yi says:

ooo – that live squid looks so intriguing. was it weird to feel something still alive and moving? they have it here in flushing too…
    love your gangham style impression…;) you're too funny!

3. kaveman says:

Hi Christine, I just watched a youtube vid where you mentioned your blog and I wanted to drop by and say hello. I'm sure you have received countless comments about how amazing your story is and blah blah blah…but I wanted to let you know that I called the winner of Masterchef for both season 1 and season 3 based on the audition alone.

Season 1 was Whitney Miller, Season 3 was you…I had no clue on season 2, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Anyways, I plan on returning here hoping to find some recipes. I came to cooking in my 30's and regret I didn't experiment earlier with cuisines. Fish sauce is one of those things I love the flavor of but get a little sick when I research how it's made.

OK, now I'm rambling, but I just wanted to say that I love everything you are.

4. Manish Bansal says:

You are eating them alive? Isn't it enough that people kill animals for food. Disgusting.

5. Ian Ong says:

Hi Christine! That was a very brave thing to do! – eating live octopus and doing the gangnam dance in gangnam-ju itself… =)
    May I suggest that for your next excursion, you pay a visit to south east asia for a gastronomical experience!

6. Yui says:

When you eat a live octopus you should say "Release the Krakennn! In my mouth!" Yum.

7. 12450miles says:

I cannot express how much I love this video! I plan on showing it to my four-year-old tomorrow … he is currently obsessed with street food and Gangnam Style. He'll love it! Thanks for sharing!

8. Warbirdali says:

eeeeUUUUUUUWwwwwww! I love Octopus sushi so have no problem eating it raw but squirming??? No I would have had to have a lot of drinks. You are a better man than I, girl. You are also a better dancer…did you have to line up to do the dance? You would think the area would be swarming with tourists doing the dance. Kinda sorta like here in Memphis every tourist strikes an Elvis sneer for every photo. Thanks for posting and keeping us laughing AND squirming

9. Jerome says:

Oh my gosh that live squid looked really yummy @_@ Anyway really laughed at the ending there! You're a great dancer!

10. Marcy says:

Those shots of the live octopus on the grill make me so sad. Absolutely despicable cruelty.

11. I would love to visit South Korea one day. Seoul has a lot of interesting dining places with some western influences as I saw in Arirang TV. I have to try their various Bibimbap meals. and see the shopping districts.

12. ipl8 says:

Hey dear Veri nice video… I really liked it…